Saturday, October 18, 2008

Finding the Positive

Finding the positive side of life can sometimes be difficult, especially in our current times. I came to this topic today because of two different things. One is my current study of Moses through BSF(bsfinternational.org) and my attendance at our church's children's ministry training. Today it was mentioned that when teaching our pre-school children some of the Bible stories that lean more towards a negative thought(ie:lying,cheating, etc) to focus on the positive, like encourage telling the truth rather than focus on the lying. That same principle can apply today I believe. I am not suggesting that we are not realistic about the negativity that exists, but if we see things from God's perspective we might be surprised about the positive view he has.

In studying Moses and looking at some of the other greats of the Old Testament we see failures, negativity and lack of faith. God does mention these failures but do you know what his focus is on, what they did well. In Genesis 15 we see God's covenant with Abraham to bring him and his wife an heir. In Genesis 15:6 God says"Abraham believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness". Then just one chapter later we see Abraham become inpatient, lose faith and agree with his wife Sarai to try and have a child through her maidservant Hagar. In Chapter 21 we something really cool, God was faithful to his promise, despite Abraham and Sarah getting in the way(Gen 21:2). Despite his lapse of judgement and faith, God was true to him promise, what a positive thought to focus on. Then in Romans Ch. 4, Galatians 3:9 and James 2:23 we see Abraham praised as a "man of faith" and "friend of God", what an honor. God could have chosen to focus only on the mistrials of Abraham but instead chose him to be the father of all nations and bless future generations because of his faith.

If we look at Moses we see how he was a murderer, weak and not well spoken. We can see his failures and struggles throughout Exodus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, but we see his ultimate legacy in Deuteronomy Ch. 34:10"No prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face" and vs 12" For no one has ever shown the mighty power or performed the awesome deeds that Moses did in the sight of all Israel". I find this very encouraging, for those of us who struggle with the guilt of our sin and imperfection, we too can find the positive that God sees in us.

So in this time of uncertainty I am comforted that God takes care of his people, God accomplishes all things despite my attempts to help myself and despite my imperfections. Help me Lord to be a positive light for my children and those around me. Please don't let my small perspective and negative thoughts limit your power. Help me to be realistic about the problems of this world but be drawn ever closer to the only one who can overcome them.

No comments: