Tuesday, November 24, 2009

If at first you don't succeed.......


This past friday I attemped to get a signed copy of Sarah Palin's book "Going Rogue". I started my morning by taking Abby to school, then raced like a mad woman to buy 2 of her books at the Kenny Rd Borders, because Borders website said they were out at their Dublin Location. I then dropped Will off at preschool and zoomed over to the Borders on Sawmill to wait in line for a wristband. Originally they were going to give out 1000 wristbands that would allow you to come back in the evening for the book signing.
When I showed up the line was all the way down the front and back of the shopping center. I heard from someone in line that now they were only giving away 500 wristbands as Palin's crew had requested this. I enjoyed chatting with the nice people in line with me, it was comforting to be with those who appreciated the same conservative values that I believe in. After over two hours of waiting we were told that they were out of wristbands. I was disappointed but I knew in the big scheme of life it wasn't the end of the world. I went on with my day but I just couldn't let go that I felt like I really wanted to get those two books signed.
I called Borders at 530 that night to inquire about the line for those without a wristband and the worker said not to come because I wouldn't be able to get them signed. I felt defeated, Mike came home and I told him I knew I was being a baby about this but I really wanted to see her. So Mike said just go anyways and see what happens. So I went back out and waited in line and 2 and 1/2 hours later I had two signed copies of her book. I got to shake her hand, she asked me my name and I said Thank you so much. I was super pumped after that. I got one book for me and one for my father in law for Christmas.
So in this case persistence paid off. I had prayed about this a few days before because I didn't want to spend God's time doing something that might be frivalous. I feel like God ordained my schedule so that I might go. So that I might be encouraged by others who share similar values and that I might share my faith in Christ with others. I know that 4.5 hours is a long time to wait to meet one person, but I also see it as a reminder that if I am willing to do this to meet Sarah Palin I should be able to commit that amount of time and more in serving Christ.

No comments: