Friday, April 3, 2009

Family Movie Night

Well we had our first official family movie night tonight. My husband Mike suggested we do it and it was alot of fun. We often have alot of weekend nights where we hang out together as a family but we thought it would be nice to make the night a little special. So we rented the movie Alvin and the Chipmunks, ordered pizza and put a blanket down in the family room and had a picnic. It was alot of fun and I think it is a good idea once in a while to make something so ordinary as watching a movie a little more special. We had seen the movie together in the theater but the kids wanted to see it again. They were so funny watching it and there is some upbeat music so the kids got alot of exercise grooving to the chipmunks. It really is a cute movie that the whole family was able to enjoy.

I hope to establish the tradition of a special family night more often. Right now we are fortunate that the evenings are pretty free for our kids so really every night is some sort of family night. Yet I know this will change as the kids get older and so establishing the importance of a family special night is a good thing. I know it is nothing new and a lot of other families do it but this was our first official one and I am very grateful for the memories created. I am also cherishing the fact that our kids actually want to hang out with us because I know that is not always guarenteed as the age. Yet I am hopeful that by teaching them the value of "family time" early will leave a lasting impact on them.(Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6)

No comments: