Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Wind in their Sails

I read bits here and there out of this book "The Power of a Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd. I tend to read it more while my husband is traveling as I find it harder to be as positive as I would like to be when the day to day activities seem to wear me down.

In reading from her book this week I came across the chapter providing advice on discovering your child'd potential. I am drawn to this topic as Abby has started school now and Will will start next week. As I begin to schedule activities and homework projects are introduced it does make me think about recognizing those areas where my kids really shine. I love in the book where it states "Our challenge is to learn how to be the wind in their sails without blowing them off the course God has set for their lives." I want to be an involved and supportive mom but I don't want to be a controlling mom. Giving thoughtful direction and choosing or controlling the direction are two different things. Of course the Bible provides insight into our parenting duties and specifically how to train them. I really like the author's translation of Proverbs 22:6 "train a child according to his bent."

So it looks like I have some homework as well this school season, according to this book there are four steps to studying your children in order to find their unique skill sets and direction. Step 1: See the potential, this sounds easy enough but I know if feels like some days I have only focased on what they didn't do or say. Step 2: Offer opportunities for Growth, here she empasizes trying a variety of activities for you kids but not rushing. In fact she lists several Olympic athletes who didn't focas on their specific sport until their teenage years!!! Step 3: Set realistic goals, she emphasizes that these be the children's goals and not your goals for them. Lastly Step 4: Support their Endeavors, whether they win or lose, just them knowing you support them no matter what is such an encouragement to them.
So I am excited to really study my kids a little more deeply and find out what makes them truly unique and how I can help them find their bent. Hope you enjoyed this new info as much as I did. Happy Discovering!!!

No comments: