Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken Tenders

Well tonight I made my own breaded chicken tenders and am pretty proud of myself. I don't mind cooking but can think of a million other things I would rather do at 5pm each day then prepare a homemade meal. Tonight I decided to make chicken fajitas. I knew the kids did not really enjoy the seasoning for fajitas nor the peppers so I was torn what to do. I wanted us to sit together and eat as a family, I want them to learn to eat what we eat, but I am also realistic that sometimes kids just don't care for things. I decided that using the same chicken I use for fajitas I would bread and pan fry my own chicken tenders. To many this is a no brainer, no big feat, but my kids eat nuggets from McDonalds, Wendy's or Banquet frozen nuggets. So I coated the chicken in egg, flour and cornflakes and pan fried them with a little olive oil in the skillet. Meanwhile cooking the chicken/peppers/seasoning for the fajitas in another skillet. So I felt that this was a good compromise, we all had chicken, just seasoned a little different. This may seem like a silly post but sometimes it is the simplest things that make us happy. I am grateful that God allows us these simple pleasures. I didn't save a life today, I didn't do anything extra ordinary but I did try something out of my comfort zone and that's always a good thing. God's preparing me in little ways to step out of my comfort zone and do his kingdom work. I am excited to see what homemade chicken tenders leads too.

No comments: